Practice Areas

Paternity Rights

Establish Paternity to Protect Your Rights

​Establishment of Paternity is the legal process that creates a legal relationship between a father and a child who is born out of wedlock. In Florida, any woman who is pregnant or has a child, or any man who has reason to believe that he is the father of a child, may bring an action for paternity. Generally, the father initiates a court action for Establishment of Paternity, asking the Court to formally declare him a parent with all the legal rights and responsibilities that come with parenthood. But in some cases, the mother of a child who is born out of wedlock initiates this action in order to have the Court issue an order of child support in her favor.

At the Law Office of Akilah Harris PLLC., our Broward County family lawyer helps both fathers and mothers throughout the entire legal process of establishing paternity. Oftentimes, a genetic/DNA testing is required. Once paternity is established, the court addresses the issues of child custody and child support.
If you’re a father facing a situation where the paternity of your child is challenged and you would like to establish paternity, or if you’re a mother who wants to protect her child’s right to be financially supported by both parents, then you need an experienced and knowledgeable Florida Family Lawyer who would fight for your parental rights and the rights of your child.

Disestablishment of Paternity

Even if you’ve been declared a “parent” under Florida law, it is always possible to disestablish your paternity and terminate your child support obligation if you are not the biological father of the child. An action for disestablishment of paternity involves an individual who has been previously designated as the father proving to the Court that he is not the biological father of the child and therefore is not legally obligated to support or be responsible for that child. Once paternity is disestablished, the father may be relieved from making further child support payments. If you are a parent of a child under Florida law but believe you’re not the biological father of that child, then you have the right to challenge your paternity and discontinue paying child support. But you need to have your case handled by an aggressive Florida Paternity Lawyer.

Fort Lauderdale
Pembroke Pines
Coral Springs
Pompano Beach
Deerfield Beach

I ​Successfully Represent Clients in South Florida

Help Begins With An Initial Consultation

To discuss your case with me and find out how I can help, contact me today at (954) 451-0050 or by email. Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request. My fees are meant to be affordable. Payment plans are available if there are no court dates scheduled. Credit and debit cards are accepted.